Greasetrap Installation Brisbane

Home » Plumbing Services » Greasetrap Installation Brisbane

Do you need to buy or install a Grease Trap?

How much does a grease trap cost?

What approvals are required for your area?

How to size a greasetrap?

Unsure where to start or what the rules are? We can help you!  Read through this information, and then FILL in the form at the bottom so we can best provide you with the support you need.

We have some information below on –

  • what a Grease trap is
  • what they are used for
  • what process is involved from sizing, ordering and delivery of your greasetrap.

Also, we have detailed ways that you can work out how you go about getting your business up and running and brought up to scratch. Feel free to complete our custom built form at the bottom of this page so we are able to provide you with the best available assistance for your trade waste enquiry.

What is a grease trap?


1500 litre Above Ground Greasetrap with pump out line

Good question. This is the most often asked question we get when contacted by someone who is new to food retail. Because we don’t have grease traps on our homes like years ago before we had all had access to sewer systems, not many people are aware of what they are or what their purpose is. A Grease trap is used for two main purposes. When using large volumes of hot water, and cooking with hot fats and oils, it is important to prevent those hot liquids from entering a plastic (PVC) sewer system. PVC does not cope well with constant hot liquids being put through its pipes. The pipes tend to melt in sections or buckle. This can cause issues with the rest of the sewer system. Even though this is important, it is not the main reason a Grease trap is required.

The main reason a Grease trap is required is to prevent fats and oils from day to day cooking to enter the sewer system. Build up of fats and oils in the sewer system can cause major blockages. The overload of fats and oils into the sewer system will also greatly increase the amount of treatment this water will need at the end of the line – the sewer treatment centre where all effluent goes. This is why all local councils and water authorities are very strict with their rules and regulations in regard to grease traps. They want to protect their sewer system, and reduce the cost of treatment for all rate payers, who are everyone one of us who live in a property. So what they require is a holding tank of a particular size relevant to the business that is connected to it. This holding tank is to allow the fats and oils to collect in the tank while the cleaner water passes underneath this body of fat and discharges to the sewer system. The holding tank will also allow for the heat within this water to cool before it enters the sewer system which reduces the potential damage to the PVC piping system found on most properties in this day and age.

Some extra things you may need for your grease trap installation are:

Grease Trap Installation Process.

Grease Trap Installation Process.

• Hydraulic drawings for the design of your trade-waste system. The will need to be approved by the local authority.

• A particular type of venting requirement that is specific to grease trap installations

• Water lines will need to have what is known as back-flow protection fitted. This a series of valves that is compulsory to ensure that the water authority’s supply is protected from reverse syphoning and contamination.

Grease Trap Installation

Grease Trap Installation Process.

•In certain areas, a special type of floor waste grate is required. These are known as bucket traps, and help trap larger debris from entering your drainage system.

We here at Citi Plumbing have the required proven track record and experience to supply and install all types of Grease Traps in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. We are happy to provide you with our expertise and a no obligation cost assessment for your project. If you do require a Greasetrap Installation Brisbane at your business premises, please feel free to contact us by email or phone and we will get back to you promptly and be eager to help.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Does your business require a Grease Trap?

If you are entering into or currently run a business that is involved in the preparation or selling of food, then it is most likely that you will require a Grease trap. In some local councils very small operators who do not make any food on site (they sell pre made food like sandwiches) will not require to have a Grease trap or trade-waste system. But most councils require a Grease trap even for very small premises. You may only need a small system. This system will need to be approved by your local authority and be able to service the loading requirements of your premises. Some of the types of industries that require a Grease trap are:
• restaurants
• cafes
• fast food retailers
• bakeries
• butchers
• catering companies
• pre-packaged food wholesalers
• Some medical facilities in some councils.
• Pet food retailers.

How often do we need out Grease Trap Cleaned out?

This depends on what location your business premises is in. Some water authorities require a clean out of a Grease trap every 6 weeks. Others would only need a clean out every 12 weeks. If you have a small loading (small amount of use compared to the size of the Grease trap your business is connected to) then you may find less frequent clean outs are required. Companies like Cleanaway and Transpacific can assist with this.
What size of Grease Trap does my business require?

The size of Grease Trap is nominated by your local water authority for the type of food preparation you will be doing on the premises. Every local authority have their own interpretation of what is allowable, and you would need to contact them to get the requirements. Usually the minimum size for a small premises of only a couple of fixtures is 550 litres. A large restaurant would expect to have a Grease trap of a size typically 3000 litres or more. A group of food premises in a small shopping centre would usually share a very large system of around 5000 or 6000 litres.

What type of Grease Trap system does my business require?

First, we would need to know what type of business you will be entering into. Additional to that, the type of food production would result in certain types of grease traps being allowable for you to use. Not all food types allow you to have a small Grease trap. As an example, in Brisbane City Council, if you have a combi steamer (often referred to as a combi-oven or combi steaming oven) then you are not permitted to have a Grease trap of less than 3000 litres. Similarly, if you have a business that cooks a lot of chicken (eg. KFC outlet), then a minimum 3000 litre is also required. If you would like to know what other issues you may encounter, or the requirements for your business please send us an email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Can we us an above ground Grease Trap tank instead of an in-ground Grease Trap tank?

Yes you most certainly can. Certain requirements would need to be in place for this to be allowable. First, you would need to have this type of system approved for installation by your local authority. Most councils around Australia are agreeable to an above ground system being installed. Second, you would have to have a premises that is above a car park or another approved location. Or if there is no floor level below like a car park space, then the fixtures (sinks etc) would need to be located in a position that allows for adequate fall (water runs downhill…) to be able to run into the above ground Grease trap.

Greasetrap Request form

How can we help you with your Greasetrap request?